Bangers with Root Veg Mash
For the sausages and onion gravy:
1 x ½lb 8-pack of Hafners Sausages
2 Onions, sliced
½ tsp dried Mixed Herbs
1 tbsp fresh Rosemary, chopped
½ tsp Dijon Mustard
600ml Beef Stock
Salt and Black Pepper
2 tsp Butter, at room temperature
2 tsp Plain Flour
For the mash:
400g Potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
400g Turnips, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
400g Carrots, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Place the Hafners Sausages in a roasting tin. Roast for 10-12 minutes, then turn the sausages and return to the oven for a further five minutes until nicely browned.
- In a jug, stir together the dried herbs, rosemary, mustard and stock. Add the onions to the roasting tin and pour the stock mixture over the sausages and onions. Return the tin to the oven for 20 minutes or until the sausages are completely cooked throughout. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, combine the potatoes, turnips and carrots in a saucepan, cover with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes or until very soft. Drain well, allowing to steam dry for 1-2 minutes, then mash well.
- Combine the butter and milk in a small jug and microwave until the butter has just melted. Add to the mashed vegetables and beat together until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- To finish the onion gravy, mix the soft butter and plain flour together to form a paste. Remove the sausages from the roasting tin, set aside and cover with foil.
- Place the roasting tin onto the hob over a medium-high heat. Add the flour and butter mixture and whisk until combined. Continue to whisk over the heat for 3-4 minutes or until the gravy has thickened. Add the sausages back to the tin and warm through for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the sausages and root vegetable mash with the onion gravy spooned over and some peas on the side.