Gluten Free Sausage Balls
- 1 cup (140 g) basic gum-free gluten-free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika (optional)
- 8 ounces sharp yellow cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 medium-size shallots, peeled and grated
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg (60g, out of shell) at room temperature, beaten
- 1 pound gluten-free Mallon’s sausages (casings removed)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper, and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, place the flour blend, baking powder, salt, pepper and optional paprika, and whisk to combine well. Add the grated cheddar cheese, and toss to coat the cheese in the dry ingredients. Add the grated shallots, butter, and egg, and mix to combine well. Add the sausage, mix, and then knead with your hands to bring the mixture together.
- Roll the mixture very tightly into balls about 1-inch in diameter, and place about 1 inch apart from one another on the prepared baking sheet. After rolling all of the balls, press each of them together again in the palm of your hand, and roll again into a round to make sure they are pressed together tightly or they will separate during baking.
- Place in the centre of the preheated oven and bake until golden brown and cooked through (about 25 minutes). Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly before serving.