Mallon’s Pork Meatballs in Mushroom Cream with Cabbage & Bacon
454g Mallon’s pork sausages, skin removed
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 Teaspoon oil
For the sauce
1 Red onion, finely sliced
250g Button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon plain flour
350ml Chicken stock
150mls Whipping cream
1 Tablespoon wholegrain mustard
Freshly milled salt & pepper
200g Maple cure bacon, cut into strips
400g Cabbage or spring greens, trimmed and shredded
For the meatballs
- In a bowl, mix Mallon’s sausage meat, garlic, 1 tablespoon of chives, salt, pepper and roll into 16 equal meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook the meatballs for 4 – 5 minutes, turning occasionally or until brown and cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and keep warm.
For the sauce
- Add butter to the pan and fry the onion until soft, add the mushrooms and fry until golden
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, then gradually add the stock, stirring constantly until the sauce is smooth. Reduce the temperature and simmer for 10 minutes until thick.
- Stir in cream, mustard, remaining chives and season well.
- Stir fry the bacon in the remaining oil for a few minutes, add the cabbage and continue to cook until tender.
- Arrange cabbage and bacon onto warm plates, top with meatballs and sauce.