Sausage and Egg Baps with Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 12 Mallon’s sausages
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large soft white or wholemeal baps
For the sauce
- 4 large, ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp each red wine vinegar, soft brown sugar, tomato ketchup
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce in a large pan. Cook over a medium-high heat for 10-12 mins until most of the liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes have broken down, leaving you with a thick, spoonable sauce.
- Squeeze the sausage-meat from the skins and shape into 4 flat patties. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the patties for 4 mins each side, squashing them down with the back of a spatula, until crisp and golden on both sides. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Heat the grill. Crack the eggs into the pan and cook to your liking. Meanwhile, slice open the baps and lightly toast, cut-side up, under the grill. Add a spoonful of the spicy tomato sauce to each bap, then a sausage patty, and then top with a fried egg.