Healthy Sausage and Veggie Cassoulet
8 Mallon’s Low-Fat Pork Sausages
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
80g kale, roughly chopped
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and black pepper
50ml white wine
150g tomato passata
400ml chicken stock
1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark4.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the Mallon’s Low-Fat Pork Sausages and cook until lightly browned all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Turn the heat to medium and cook the onion in the same pan for 15 minutes until very soft and brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and cook for one minute longer.
- Add the carrots, kale, oregano and thyme. Cook for 7-8 minutes until the carrots have softened and the kale has wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat to medium-high. Pour in the wine and allow to bubble for 2-3 minutes, scraping up any sticky bits from the bottom of the pot using a wooden spoon. Stir in the passata and stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half. Season to taste, then stir in the beans and sausages.
- In a small bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and remaining olive oil until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the sausage and bean mixture to a baking dish and top evenly with the breadcrumbs.
Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes until browned and bubbling at the sides.