Sausage and Roasted Squash Risotto
1 Butternut Squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped into 1cm cubes
1 x ½lb 8-pack of Mallon’s Classic Sausages
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Black Pepper
2 tbsp fresh Rosemary Leaves, finely chopped
850ml Chicken Stock
1 Onion, finely chopped
200g Arborio Rice
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
120ml White Wine (or substitute with another 120ml stock)
60g Parmesan, grated, plus extra for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7.
- Place the butternut squash and Mallon’s Sausages on a large baking tray. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Scatter over half of the rosemary and toss to combine. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until the sausages are completely cooked through and the squash is soft and lightly caramelised around the edges.
- Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a saucepan and keep it at a gentle simmer.
- Melt half of the butter in a separate pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 6-8 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and garlic and stir for two minutes, coating the grains in the butter. Add the wine (or stock) and stir until it has been completely absorbed.
- Add a ladleful of the hot chicken stock and simmer, stirring, until absorbed. Keep adding the stock one ladleful at a time, stirring until almost completely absorbed before adding the next ladleful. When all of the stock has been added, the rice should be tender and creamy, but retain a little bite. This will take 15-20 minutes in total.
- Stir in the Parmesan., then use a wooden spoon to beat in the remaining butter. Season to taste.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the cooked sausages into bite-sized chunks.
- Fold the chopped sausages, butternut squash and remaining rosemary into the risotto. Serve with extra Parmesan, if desired.